Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Re: What If Honey had Died in Something From Nothing?

Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:51 am

The crisis galvanizes Grace. Because the pawnshop has no phone, Grace tells Hub to go down the outside stairs and around the back of the block to warn Anna. Alice is to delay Wells by telling him that Anna might be at Ollie and Marjorie’s house. As Alice prepares to leave, Grace apologizes for doubting her. Alice hurriedly tells her that it’s all right. She was jealous of Anna, and being seen speaking to Inspector Wells must have looked bad.

Downstairs at the police station, Inspector Wells and an unenthusiastic Sgt. Stoneman prepare to go to the pawnshop. Stoneman makes it plain that since Wells has a warrant, he will do his duty. However, he got into law enforcement to protect the innocent, not help deliver them into the hands of dictators. Wells doesn’t care. As far as he is concerned, Stoneman can think what he likes as long as he does as he’s told. Alice rushes up to them as they leave the police station and tells them that she saw May at the Jeffersons' filling station earlier in the day. She spoke with Ollie’s Cousin Jim but didn’t have her car filled up or serviced. Ollie and Marjorie have a house next to the station where Anna could be hiding. For a moment Wells is uncertain what to do. Sgt. Stoneman is more than happy to offer him no help in resolving his dilemma. Wells thinks for a second and then has Stoneman dispatch his constable to keep an eye on the Jefferson place while they continue on to the pawnshop. He sends Stoneman around the back to cover the entrance there. Alice, watching them go, is fearful that she hasn't delayed them long enough to make any difference.

Next Post: Anna's Peril Pt. 2

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:09 am

In the pawnshop, Eddie Jackson is showing Jim Flett an engagement ring. It isn’t anything fancy, but he’s sure that Audrey will love it. Jim thanks him for letting him come to the store at this hour to pick it up. With Grace sick, he’s having to cover her time at CRNB during the day so this was the only time he could get there. Eddie understands. When is Jim planning to propose?

“After Pritchard comes back. His grandfather seems to be improving, so he should be here in time to celebrate New Years.”

“1939. What do you think is in store for us?”

“I don’t know. I’m not much for prognostication.”

“The stars don’t tell you.”

Jim smiles. “They don’t tell anyone, no matter what the astrologers say.”

“They might tell you some night soon that it’s a good time to propose to your honey. I hope she says yes.”

At that moment, there is a fierce knock on the door and a call to open up. “It’s the police."

Next Post: Anna's Peril Pt. 3

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:36 am

Hub reaches Anna in the basement and warns her of the impending raid. Sgt. Stoneman is slowly making his way down the alley leading to the larger alley behind the pawnshop. Hub and Anna rush into the larger alley and away from the pawnshop. Sgt. Stoneman hears the sound of scurrying around the corner in the large alley. He leans against the wall and lights a cigarette. He’s probably just hearing a stray cat having a run. There’s no need to hurry around the corner. Hub pulls Grace’s key to CRNB out of his pocket and uses it to let them in the back door. They go up the stairs and onto the rooftop. The plan is for them to stay there for an hour and then sneak across the rooftops to the First Presbyterian Church to which Grace has lent Hub another key. As they wait, Anna tells Hub that she loves him. Hub is astonished, “Anna … .”

Anna puts a finger to his lips. “I wish you felt the same way about me. Alice is a lucky girl.”

Hub smiles but there is a touch of sadness in it for Anna whose love he can’t return. “I’m a lucky guy. She can be a little rough around the edges, but she’s true blue.”

“So are you and all your family. If it weren‘t for you and your aunt, I would be on my way back to the Hitler‘s Reich. Thank you.”

Next Post: Inspector Wells' Frustration

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:17 am

Inspector Wells searches the pawnshop from top to bottom. Maisie arrives while the search is going on. She has just finished her shift at the telephone exchange and was going to have supper with her father before going home to May. She looks on amused as Wells finds nothing. Sgt. Stoneman hasn’t seen anything in back. Stoneman’s constable arrives and reports that Ollie’s Cousin Jim let him into Ollie and Marjorie’s house and he didn’t find anything there either. Wells is flummoxed. He unwisely muses aloud that he was sure that Grace had Anna hidden at the pawnshop. Maisie tells him, “don’t give up. Maybe Grace is hiding her in her piano at her mother’s house. Anna is musical.”

Next Post: More Frustration

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:00 am

Wells just glares at her. Then he tells Stoneman to hold Eddie, Jim, and Maisie at the pawnshop for a moment. Taking Stoneman’s constable with him, he rushes over to the New Bedford Inn. He tells the constable to watch the back stairs behind the Sutton’s apartment. Then he goes into the inn and up to the Suttons’ front door dragging Mrs. Cramp with him. When Grace answers the door he isn’t surprised to see Alice watching from the living room. He has already sized up her report about Ollie and Marjorie’s house as a diversion, even if he can’t prove it. tells her that he knows that Anna is in the apartment and that she may as well give her up. Otherwise, he will have to conduct a search. He’s sure that Mrs. Cramp won’t refuse him permission.

“Oh yes I will, “ Mrs. Cramp exclaims. “You’ve rummaged through enough of my premises already. There’s a limit to what a respectable citizen should be expected to take.”

“That’s alright,” Grace assures her. “Inspector Wells is perfectly welcome to look through every inch of this apartment. He won’t find Anna, but I don’t think he’ll believe that until he sees for himself.”

Inspector Wells smiles ruefully at Grace. “I believe it. If you’re inviting me in, Anna Schiller can’t possibly be here.”

Grace smiles. “That seems sensible.”

“You know it is,” Wells retorts as he replaces his hat on his head and very insincerely wishes her a good evening. He turns and begins to walk away. Then he stops and looks at Grace with wry respect. “Mrs. Sutton, the wrong member of your family went to fight in Spain. If you had been in charge of the army of the Republic, Franco would have been beaten in a week.”

Next Post: Relief and Remembering

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:14 am

Over Grace’s shoulder, Alice watches Wells turn and walk down the corridor. She can’t help thinking that it was lucky that she ran into Grace on the street after fleeing the Barlows’ cellar and what appeared to be Hub kissing Anna. Grace was on her way to her appointment with Dr. Barlow but took the time to listen to Alice. Alice complained about Hub and Anna and wondered if a boyfriend-stealing witch was worth having Hub risk prison. Grace doubted that Hub was two timing Alice with Anna. That isn‘t the Hub they know. Well, maybe not, but Alice was convinced that Anna would steal him if she could. She couldn’t understand why any of them should help her. Grace thought that she should read a letter she just received from Max. Grace pulled several sheets of paper out of her handbag. Alice should read them and think about what they have to say. She can return them after Grace’s appointment is over. Alice walked over to the schoolyard, sat on one of the swings, and began to read.

Next Post: Max's Letter

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:42 am

“Felipe and I are resting in Paris. I hope his sniffles will get better and that we will be home for Christmas. The worst part of this journey has been missing you and the kids. Being away from all of you makes me realize how empty my life would be without my family. That includes little Felipe. It hasn’t even been a month since I first met him. Already he has made his way as deeply into my heart as Hub or Fat or Violet. I know that once you meet him, he will soon be as dear to you. I can’t help feeling guilty about leaving Felipe’s grandparents in Spain. They know their probable fate when Franco’s forces overrun Barcelona-the prison camp or the mass grave. They are resigned to either. Dr. Marquez is too old and too frail to become a refugee. Senora Marquez insists on staying with him. She has been at his side for forty-seven years. She will not leave him now. Dr. Marquez can’t believe that it has been that long. Was it yesterday that they strolled arm in arm down La Rambla. She was beautiful then but to him is even lovelier now. Will you and I be like that forty-seven years from now? I hope so. I can’t imagine loving you more than I do now, but there was a time when I could never have imagined finding someone as kind and sweet and caring as you to be a part of my life.

It was heartrending to watch Dr. and Senora Marquez say goodbye to their grandson for the last time. They are grieved, but they know that Franco will turn Spain into a land of slavery and dishonor. It is better that Felipe grow up in a land that is still free and ruled by its people. However, Dr. and Senora Marquez continue to believe that one day the dark age that is about to begin in their country will have an end. They do so in the conviction that Spain is greater than Franco and his band of traitors and will still live when he and all his twisted works have perished. As they said goodbye to their beloved grandson, they expressed the wish that when Spain is once again a free nation he will return to the land of his birth and see it in all its sorrow and glory. They hope that he will come to understand and appreciate this land for which his parents fought and died.

From one end of the earth to the other, good people like Dr. and Senora Marquez are being hounded, imprisoned, tortured, and murdered by power hungry madmen who believe that their race or their religion or their politics gives them the right to rule the rest of us by force and fear. Del was right to resist this insanity. It cannot be reasoned or compromised with. It must be fought until it is destroyed. I fear that Del will not be the last to die in the attempt. The opponents of fascism must be supported in every way possible. Its victims must be given refuge. We must all have the courage to do what we can.”

Next Post: Grace and Alice

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:24 am

On finishing the letter, Alice was touched by the plight of Dr. and Senora Marquez. Thinking back on that moment, the thought of just how close she came to telling Inspector Wells everything chills her more than the icy winter cold outside would. She suspects that if she had, she would have regretted it for the rest of her life. On seeing Inspector Wells turning at the middle of the corridor and vanishing down the stairs, Grace closes the door of the apartment and thanks Alice for her help. Alice is reluctant to accept the thanks. “That’s alright. After the way I almost ruined everything by opening my big mouth to the Inspector, it was the least I could do.”

Grace smiles at Alice for an instant before having to cough. Then the coughing fit ends. “You were just trying to help. It wasn’t your fault it didn’t work out the way you planned. We’ll have to keep Anna undercover for a day or two until we can be sure that Wells is gone, but I think that she’s safe now.” Worry darkens Grace’s expression. “I just hope that little Felipe is doing better. I hate to think of the poor thing coughing and feverish and too young to know what’s happening to him.”

Next Post: Anna's Farewell

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:33 pm

After two days in Dr. Barlow‘s cellar, Anna is about to leave New Bedford. Before that happens, Grace and May have her over to May’s house for one last dinner with the family. Anna thanks everyone for what they have done to help her. After dinner, Anna and Maisie perform their duet on “Angels We Have Heard on High.” Maisie is pleased with the progress her hand has made. She isn’t ready to attempt anything by James Johnson or Fats Waller yet, but she continues to detect more strength and flexibility. She just wishes that Anna would be able to stay long enough to play "Angels We Have Heard on High" with her in the Christmas Pageant. Afterwards, Hub drives away with Anna in Grace’s Ford. Their destination is Lake Superior where a boat is waiting to take Anna to the United States.

Next Post: Anxiety for the Future

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:56 am

After everyone watches Hub and Anna leave, they all go back inside. In May’s parlor, Maisie, with May’s permission, turns on the radio to a music program. As everyone else listens to Artie Shaw and his Orchestra performing “Begin the Beguine,” May notices that Grace seems sad and troubled. She asks her what is bothering her. Grace answers, “Seeing Hub go away like that … I can’t help thinking of what we both know is coming. Soon, maybe before another Christmas comes, I’ll have to watch him and Fat go away to war with no way of knowing if either of them will ever come back.”

May takes her daughter’s hand and squeezes gently. “I wish I could tell you that it won’t happen, but we both know better. There’s just no alternative. I don’t think any of us want to live in the world the Fascists will make if they aren’t stopped.“

“No, Anna has given us a taste of what that would be like.“ Tears well up in Grace’s eyes. “I just wish I knew if Felipe is alright. It’s funny. I’ve never met the little thing, but I already think of him as mine. I can’t help fearing for him the same as I would for Fat, Hub, or Violet if they were that sick.“

There is more than a little pride in the smile May turns on her daughter. “You’re a good mother Grace. Your children weren’t born to you, but I wish I had been half the mother to mine that you are to them.“

Next Post: Lake Superior

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:45 pm

Hub and Anna reach the rendezvous on Lake Superior. There, they find that Professor Coburn has evaded the RCMP dragnet. He brings the happy news that Anna’s family has escaped Austria and will soon be coming to the United States to join her. Before she leaves, Anna tells Hub that she hopes that someday, when the madness that is overtaking the world passes away, she will meet him and his family again. “Maybe then what I feel for you will have faded and I will be able to accept your friendship for the blessing it is.”

Hub starts to make another apology for his inability to return Anna’s feelings, but she puts a finger to his lips. “Don’t blame yourself. The heart goes where it will. “

She kisses him on the cheek and whispers goodbye. Hub stands on the dock and watches as she and Professor Coburn board the boat that will take them across Lake Superior to America.

Next Post: Return to New Bedford

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:22 am

Hub drives back through the night and reaches New Bedford early in the morning. Grace is alone in the apartment writing an article about what it was like to be a child before WWI. She is relieved to see Hub and to hear that everything is all right with Anna. Hub asks if there is any news of Felipe. There isn’t. Grace notices that Hub isn’t looking too well. “Did you get anything to eat?“

“No, I wasn’t very hungry. “

Hub sneezes. Grace is horrified. “You’re not coming down with my cold, are you?“

Hub admits that he might be. Grace insists that he rests while she fixes him some hot soup. That evening, there is still no word from Max about Felipe. Hub isn’t doing too well either. His cold is in full swing in spite of his having spent most of the day in bed. He insists that he is well enough to see the Christmas pageant that night. Nobody believes him. Grace insists on staying with him even though it means missing the pageant. Hub insists that she go. He will be fine alone. He would be more convincing if not for the sneezing and coughing. Grace is firm. She is staying. Violet is disappointed that her aunt won’t get to see her play an angel. Grace tells her that she can’t, but if she were sick, she would stay home with her. Fat and May will be there to see the pageant. They will see her perform.

At the pageant Violet as an angel brings the good news to the shepherds. A telegram arrives at the apartment. Grace and Hub look at it anxiously before Grace begins to open it. Maisie sings “Angels We Have Heard on High,“ accompanying herself on the piano. At the end of the pageant, Toppy breathes a sigh of relief that everything has gone as planned. May and Maisie drop Violet and Fat at the apartment. Grace is waiting for them with the telegram. The news is good. Felipe’s fever has broken. He is doing better and is expected to make a full recovery. May breathes a thank you to God. Out in the square the people of New Bedford, including Jim Flett, Alden and Callie Cramp, Toppy, Laura Bridgeman and her parents, and Rebecca Graham and her parents, begin to sing “Silent Night.“ End of A Wind at My Back Christmas.

Next Post: Epilogue pt. 1

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:32 am

A big thank you to my readers for bringing this thread to 20,000 views. It has been a joy writing this alternate history version of the Wind at My Back characters and it isn't quite over yet. In the next few posts, we find out what happens to the characters in the years to come. I look forward to seeing all of you here 4-5 days from now.

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:15 am

Epilogue

January, 1939-Max returns to New Bedford bringing little Felipe with him. Grace adores him on first sight. She is also very thankful that May Bailey resumed the presidency of the Silverdome Mining Company over a year ago and hired a capable, experienced mining executive to replace her as vice president. Having three children at home and working at CRNB and as a writer is enough to deal with at one time. Fat is not pleased to realize that his fears of what the new arrival might mean are fully justified. In addition to babysitting Violet, he is now expected to babysit Felipe when necessary. He hates it when this task takes away from his time with Rebecca. Grace tells him that it is good practice for when he has children of his own.
“I’m never having kids.” Fat declares. “It’s hard enough working for a living. Who wants to come home and work at another job for free?”

Grace smiles. “You’re right that looking after a family is a job without a salary, but there are rewards greater than money.”

She leans over and kisses her nephew on the cheek. Fat becomes less disgruntled when Rebecca finds little Felipe adorable and makes it clear that she thinks well of him helping care for his cousin.

Next Post: Epilogue pt. 2

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:23 am

WWII-A somber Max watches Fat, as well as many of his present and former students, enlist after war is declared. Grace is fearful as she watches New Bedford‘s youth line up at the enlistment station. She glances at little Felipe in her arms and realizes that the kind of world he will grow up in depends on the courage and dedication of these young men. She breathes a silent prayer for their safe return while knowing in her heart that for some of them it will not be granted. Rebecca is also on hand to offer Fat support and encouragement. Hub marries Alice before joining the army. As a wedding gift, May pays for Laura to design Alice’s wedding gown.

Next Post: Epilogue pt. 3

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:58 am

Fat asks Rebecca to marry him before he goes to war, but she refuses. She cares for him, but doesn't feel that she is ready for marriage yet. Fat isn't happy with her answer. They quarrel. However, a talk with Max cools Fat down. Max convinces him that maybe he has been a little unfair to Rebecca. Education means a lot to her. He shouldn't blame her for wanting to finish high school and maybe go to university. Max understands the temptation to rush things in wartime. He knew a lot of boys in the last war who married their sweethearts before going off to war. Some of those marriages worked out. Some didn't. However most of the ones that worked out were between sweethearts who had known each other for a long time beforehand like Hub and Alice who have been seeing each other for almost four years. Fat makes up his quarrel with Rebecca before he leaves for the army. In 1940, Alice gives birth to a daughter whom she and Hub name Sylvia. With Hub’s agreement, Alice continues her studies in college. When she suggests quitting and getting a full time job, Hub points out that if anything happens to him in the war and she finds herself a widow, having a college science degree could make it easier to find a job that can support herself and their child. Working part time, going to school, and caring for a child is murderously hard for Alice, but, in 1942, she gets her degree. With good recommendations from her professors, she is able to get a decent job as a research chemist in a laboratory. That same year, Rebecca joins the CWACS and works as a secretary at Camp Valcartier.

Next Post: Epilogue pt. 4

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Tue May 03, 2016 2:55 am

1944-Hub is wounded in the assault on Gothic Line. He loses a foot to a mine and is given a medical discharge. Fat is killed in the disastrous Lamone River crossing. Rebecca is shocked and saddened when the news reaches her at Camp Valcartier. The day the telegram arrives is the worst of Grace and Max’s lives. Max thinks it doesn’t seem fair that Grace won’t get a silver cross. She was as much a mother to Fat as though he was her own son instead of Honey‘s. Grace doesn’t care. She doesn’t want a medal. She just wants her boy.

Next Post: Epilogue pt. 5
Last edited by Maxfan1 on Sun May 08, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Sun May 08, 2016 12:33 am

Maisie graduates with a B.S. degree in entomology. After the war, Pritchard and Maisie marry. Maisie is teaching entomology at the University of Western Ontario while Pritchard works on his degree. Jim Flett and Audrey Collins, Toppy Bailey and Archie Attenborough, and Eddie Jackson and Emilia Stout have married at the beginning of the war. Emilia is now head matron at New Bedford Hospital. Eddie has continued to operate Maisie’s pawnshop. After her discharge from the CWACs, Rebecca joins Laura Bridgeman and Doris in starting a new boutique, Laura’s. It is quite a struggle to persuade Laura that as the chief designer, her name should be on the front of the shop. After barely breaking even the first two years, they are one of the first boutiques in Canada to carry the New Look. This and Laura’s inspired originals establish them as one of Canada’s leading boutiques.

Next Post: Epilogue pt. 6

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Fri May 13, 2016 4:46 am

After May’s death, Grace finds and reads letters between her mother and Cousin Jesse also deceased by this time. In them May discusses how she learned about Del’s love for her daughter at the hospital in Regina. Grace can’t believe it. She goes to the one other person May mentions as knowing Del’s secret, Ollie Jefferson. At first her old friend denies everything, but confronted with the letters admits the truth. On hearing the rest of the story, Grace is shocked and deeply moved by the sacrifices Del made to insure her and Max‘s happiness. When Del died, May said that he was the most gallant man she ever knew. At the time, Grace assumed that her mother was speaking only of his heroism as a member of the International Brigades. She remembers all the times she thought badly of Del for drifting across Canada instead of building a life in New Bedford. If only she had known. Ollie assures her that Del didn’t blame her for anything. It wasn’t her fault that she didn’t know the whole story. Nor did he go to Spain just to escape his feelings for her. He believed in the cause for which he fought. If he could come back, he would tell her so. He would also thank her and Max for taking such good care of his son. With tears in her eyes, Grace replies that they should thank him for giving Felipe to them. The child is such a joy.

Next Post: Epilogue Conclusion

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Wed May 18, 2016 1:08 am

1986-Felipe Sutton returns to Spain with his wife and children and his aunt and uncle as part of a visit by his father’s surviving comrades from the International Brigades who are to be honored for their bravery and sacrifice on behalf of the Spanish people. He talks with old men who knew and fought alongside his father. He visits the battlefields where his father fought and the hill where he died. He places flowers on his mother’s grave, on the mass grave where his grandfather was buried after being shot by the secret police when Barcelona fell to the fascists, and on his grandmother’s grave in the cemetery outside what was once the prison camp to which she was sent. Above all, he comes face to face with the true Spain that lives in the thoughts, the voices, the memories, the music and stories of the Spanish people and not in the lies of successful murderers who hope that time and silence will hide the truth of their crimes. Grace and Max celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. All of their friends and family minus some who are now among the departed are there. Hub and Alice and their children and grandchildren are there. So are Violet and Felipe and their families. It is a joyous celebration of a life well lived. Fin.

This story is dedicated to the memory of James Carroll who as Max Sutton on Wind at My Back gave us an indelible portrait of the kindness and decency to which we should all aspire.

Next Post: What comes next?

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Mon May 23, 2016 4:48 am

I would like to thank all of my loyal readers. It’s been a joy to tell new stories of the wonderful Wind at My Back characters in an alternate earth version of the show. I will miss working on the weekly installments. I have a number of new projects I am working on and hope to present them here once I have worked up an outline and enough made enough of a start that I can post regularly. In the meantime, everyone is invited to the Creative Writing heading of the Off Topic section of the forum for the debut of a new series of posts titled Another Country, Another World-the 1930’s This will be a series of posts on the fascinating, turbulent, and sometimes wondrous times during which WAMB takes place. Please join me in four days. One adventure is over. I look forward to starting another one.

Next Post: Another Country, Another World-the 1930's #1

HistoryMiner
Kindred Spirit

Mon May 23, 2016 2:42 pm

Thanks for all your hard work on this story, Maxfan1! It is amazing that you started this three years ago.

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Sat May 28, 2016 11:38 pm

You're welcome, History Miner. I hope that you and the rest of my readers will enjoy what comes next. For my new series of posts, see below.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765&p=264894&sid=e75cd46923c080c37bbeece398509f9e#p264894

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:20 am

The second installment of Another Country, Another World is posted below.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:42 pm

The third installment of Another Country, Another World is ready. See below for my thoughts on the comic strip and comic book versions of one of the most beloved cartoon characters of the thirties.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765&p=264918&sid=cf019deb6da59bcd4666ac4dbc29a62f#p264918

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:59 am

The fourth installment of Another Country, Another World is here. The 1930's was one of the greatest of all decades where music was concerned. Find out some of the reasons why below.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765&p=264922&sid=e0e6dfc1ad6815125e804ad8103d95fb#p264922

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:39 am

The fifth and sixth installments of Another Country, Another World are here. Click for the most popular music of the thirties and the birth of the Chicago blues.

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:57 am

The seventh installment of Another Country, Another World is here. Learn the origins of classic country music.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765&p=264953&sid=b1fbe450fe2250449aae077ead0fadcd#p264953

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:10 am

The eight installment of Another Country, Another World is here. See how country music grew in many directions.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765&p=264953&sid=f53c031125b603f3a192c5006411d4b1#p264953

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:59 am

The ninth installment of Another Country, Another World is here. Enjoy the birth of movie music.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765&p=264976&sid=87c8b86b95f71af1fe2643e772e4793c#p264976

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:49 pm

The tenth installment of Another Country, Another World is here. Learn the crazy history of the Academy Award for Best Original Score.

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:43 am

The eleventh installment of Another Country, Another World is here. Prepare for an aural feast from the fathers of film scoring.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765&p=264996&sid=e108bbd54791260fedbe8b720076e636#p264996

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:19 am

The twelfth installment of Another Country, Another World is here. More on the films of the thirties
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765&p=265001&sid=8d37877ab214ceca8560129f9807f910#p265001
Last edited by Maxfan1 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:29 am

The thirteenth installment of Another Country, Another World is here. Enjoy the music of two of the finest of all film composers.
Last edited by Maxfan1 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:54 pm

The fourteenth installment of Another Country, Another World. Enjoy the work of the jazz masters who invented swing.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765&p=265042&sid=4b9c82aeeff0454838956fc9845ce494#p265042

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:37 am

The fifteenth installment of Another Country, Another World. Witness the rise of swing in the jazz heyday of Kansas City.

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:38 am

The sixteenth installment of Another Country, Another World is here. Enjoy two of the greatest bands of the first wave of swing.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765&p=265075&sid=a5b25138b7ef37b813b43c5b7212cc53#p265075

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:20 am

The sixteenth installment of Another Country, Another World and the second and greatest wave of swing are here. Enjoy.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765&p=265079&sid=ee05bb35169bfe0f856e1fa8e4b23e23#p265079

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:43 am

The eighteenth installment of Another Country, Another World is here. The world may have been going to a very bad place in a hand basket, but swing was only getting better.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765&p=265087&sid=bd959d57d89422d53782a90ad67e3d8e#p265087

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:20 am

The eighteenth installment of Another Country, Another World is here. A look at an aspect of the thirties about which no one is nostalgic.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7765&p=265087&sid=bd959d57d89422d53782a90ad67e3d8e#p265087

Return to “About the Wind at My Back”