Grace Bailey
Bosom Friend

For True WaMB Geeks, By True WaMB Geeks...

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:49 pm

This is dedicated to My Old Friend for helping me invent this and Maxfan1 for encouraging me by his stories to write this down.

This is something I thought of a while ago. I don't really have the patience to write it out in full written form (trust me, it would be the size of a dictionary if I did) but I need to share this with other fans.

Me and an old friend of mine were very bored one day and were surfing the internet when we found the WaMB writing contest. As most of you know, I started writing a story but never finished it anywhere but in my head. If you would like to read what I have written down for that story, it is somewhere in the WaMB Fan Fiction section.

Although we never finished tangibly writing our story, our imaginations were going bananas. We started writing a few more episodes and then a few more and then compiling them until finally one day I realized that we had two full 13 episode seasons put together. Now, this list of episodes, which begins after the Christmas movie, has been sitting on my desk for the last year. I feel that I need to share them now. I will not exactly be writing them as literature, but more explaining them and delving into them. I hope you enjoy them because they are certainly a part of my heart and always will be.

The Return of Wind at My Back:

The Pilot Episode: Standing Strong Part 1:
Summary: Grace and May come home from retrieving Van's body in Spain. Grace is distraught and war torn, almost not the same woman she was when she left. She reveals to Toppy that because of letters she received from Van, she had fallen in love with him again. Meanwhile, her friendship with Jim Flett seems to return. Grace understands Jim better now that she has felt true loss while Jim, who still has feelings for Grace, has an urge to comfort her. After about a month ( I don't remember the details my friend and I had setup within that month, if I did I would have added some) Jim proposes to Grace, but this time it's Grace who doesn't this she is ready. She tells Jim that she doesn't deserve him and there is some great romantic dialogue which I wish for the life of me I could remember because it either make me laugh or cry. In the end Grace accepts the proposal and the episode ends with Pritchard shouting "YES!" from his peep hole...
I am just kidding that is not how it ends...

Authors note: There isn't much to say accept that without this episode, I would never have gotten anywhere with my Return of Wind at My Back.

Season 1, Episode 2: Standing Strong Part 2:
Summary: Grace and Jim are eagerly awaiting their wedding day. There is only one problem. Jim is Catholic and Grace has not yet revealed this to May. She knows her mother will have a purple cow when she finds out and she is afraid that May will make her call off the wedding, especially when she finds out that Jim refuses to be married in a Protestant church since it is against his religion. ( I forget how but) May finds out and has a fit. Grace has just about had it with her mother and is ready to tell her that she is going to marry Jim in a Catholic church whether May likes it or not when May's heart condition kicks in. Grace, afraid for her mother's heath, decides to push off the wedding until further notice. Cousin Jessie Doesn't get wind of this though and comes for the wedding in any case. Hearing what's happened, She tells Grace to get ready to get hitched and to leave it to her to work on May. Jessie, as always, slaps some sense into May and makes her swallow her pride. At the end Grace and Jim are married. After the vows, Grace and Jim kiss (Duh) and turn to retreat down the aisle. It is then that they see May is standing in the back of the church. She has been their the whole time.

Authors note: I just have a few Anecdotes about this episode. First I would like to say that one of my biggest thoughts around the episode were the participants in the wedding. They went as follows:
Best Man (shocker): Max
Matron of Honor: I wasn't sure if it was Toppy or Honey, but I think it was Toppy
Bridesmaid: Maisy
Flower girl: Violet
Ring barer: Zach
Giver away of the bride: I always thought it would be cute if it was Hub.

Another thing was a little scene that I loved while preparing Grace. All the women are getting her ready when Toppy exclaims that Grace needs "Something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue." Grace mentions that the dress that Toppy and Honey are fitting her for at that moment is new. Violet, who has been listening dreamily, walks up and gives her aunt her wedding gift early. It is a handkerchief with blue violets embroidered on it that Violet made herself. Suddenly Toppy exclaims that when she ordered the dress material, she must have forgotten to order the fabric for the vale. Maisy ( I don't remember why she was there lol), hears this and goes running to Pawn Shop attic, where she opens her mother's hope chest where here mother had kept the vale she had hoped to someday use. Maisy lets Grace borrow this, and that covers old and borrowed. :)

I will post more episodes in the future. Right now I am falling asleep, so my writing skills are too... :D I just want to let you know that as the episodes get more recently thought of, the more I remember and the better the summary I will be able to write. If you have any questions to fill in the blanks, please ask them!

Goodnight and enjoy! I will try to post more episodes tomorrow!
❤︎ Always classy, never trashy, and Just a little bit sassy ❤︎
- Alex Kingston

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Re: For True WaMB Geeks, By True WaMB Geeks...

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:12 pm

This is lots of fun. I like the something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue idea. I look forward to more.

Grace Bailey
Bosom Friend

Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:05 am

Thank you Max! I hope to have a few more episodes up in the coming days.. :D
- Alex Kingston

Grace Bailey
Bosom Friend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:52 am

Season 1, Episode 3: Just Us and the Stars:
Summary: Grace and Jim go on their honeymoon at Bass Lake. Meanwhile, Pritchard, home alone, drives the Suttons up the wall.
Authors notes: Now that I have the premise of Grace and Jim being married, I am going to shorten my summaries so I have the energy to do more. :D
There isn't much to say about this episode except that we really never had a chance to flesh it out. To tell you the truth, I think we were a little afraid too, that's why we added the Pritchard sub-plot. :lol:

Season 1, episode 4: A Poor Teachers Wife
Summary: Grace, Jim, and Pritchard adjust to life together in a one room apartment.
Author's note: Summary says it all. :lol: Pretty much a comedy episode until the end when Grace gets a little feed up. There is a really funny scene with Grace's first washing in the hotel bathroom down the hall that went, in script form, something like this:
*Grace in her bathrobe and with a towel turban walks out of the bathroom, looks both ways, and cautiously starts up the hall. Just as she gets to the apartment door, Callie rounds the corner. Grace embarrassed, bursts into the hotel room. Jim and Pritchard are there eating*
Jim: Grace, what's the matter?
Grace: Mrs. Cramp just saw me in my robe!
*Pritchard giggles, Grace glares at him*
Jim: Well, sweetheart, it could have been worse.
Grace: How so?
Jim: It could have been Mr. Cramp!
*Jim and Pritchard burst out laughing, Grace goes huffily behind a changing board to get dressed*
:lol:

Season 1, Episode 5: Trials:
Summary: Pritchard gives Grace and Jim a run for there money when he begins to revolt. Meanwhile, Hub finds the courage to tell Honey and Max that he has joined up for the war.
Author's note: I never did figure out why Pritchard revolted. My friend and I had a joke that Grace washed his lucky socks :laugh:. Also, Hub joining up for the war was a plot that almost didn't happen, but I am glad it did, and you will see why in the future.

Season 1, Episode 6: The Challenge
Summary: Grace is asked by Callie to get Max to write a story for the radio. When Max says he is too busy, he convinces Grace to try a hand at it herself.
Author's note: I always thought Grace would be a good author. The episode was quite comical. I remember some scenes where Toppy was helping Grace come up with story ideas and Toppy says something like "what about a mystery where a girl murders her overbearing mother" and Grace says, "Toppy, don't give me any ideas that could apply to my life!!!" :lol:

Season 1, Episode 7: A Miner's Son
Summary: Max decides to ask the aid of the New Bedford Dramatic Society again, this time with his script for the play "The Miner's Son". Grace convinces Jim to audition with her, which ends up causing trouble when he gets the main part and she doesn't get any.
Author's note: This episode was obviously a tie in to the Christmas movie where we first see Max's script for the play. The entire episode was kind of a joke with my friend and I. The fact that Jim, the guy who had to be dragged to auditions by Grace, gets a role and Grace doesn't is pretty funny. You have to admit that. :lol:

Season 1, Episode 8: Small Packages
Summary: Grace, who is very embarrassed to tell Toppy that she needs a new dress because her others have become increasingly tight, is urged by her friend to see Doctor Barlow, who informs her that there is another little Flett on the way!

Author's note: haha, this one brings back a LOT of memories! First, before I forget, I want to just point out that this episode is kind of a tribute to Honey's pregnancy with Zach. If I remember correctly, It takes the same amount of episodes between Honey and Max's marriage and Jim and Grace's marriage for both couples to become pregnant. This episode spurred our invention of a long lasting in-joke, the bacon apple. We were messing around with the scrip one day and I decided that Grace had a craving and at an apple and it tasted like bacon. :lol: We were nutty kids!

Season 1, Episode 9: Setting Down
Summary: May tries to convince Grace and Jim that, with a new child on the way, a hotel is not appropriate to live in. But Jim won't accept May's kind offer of Bass Lake Cottage until May points out that someone living in the house would be a favor, since it is dilapidated now that no one uses it.
Author's note: I had to get Grace and Jim out of that hotel. I couldn't imagine three people living in one room. I have a hard enough time with just me in my room. :D

Ok, this is where the show starts to get better! It's all because of the introduction of my new favorite character:

Season 1, Episode 10: Forgive and Forget:
Jim happens upon his long lost sister, Judy, while in Pinebury who to his dismay is using her musical talents in a saloon. Judy, who is very independent and strong-willed, wants nothing to do with Jim or his older-brotherly advice, but soon finds that it might just what she needs.
Author's note: I really wanted to get into Jim's past. We don't really know much about it except about Kathleen. I decided that a sister would be just the thing he needed. It's hinted about in the episode that Jim and Judy had a fight when their parents died, but it will be fleshed out more in a season 2 episode. I am just going to warn you that the show's polarity kind of shifts from Grace and Jim to Judy, I think because we were excited to have come up with a new character. :D

This is Bryce Dallas Howard, the actress I had wanted to play Judy. I thought making her a red head would be interesting. :D More so she could be feisty with an excuse. :laugh:

Season 1, Episode 11: Adjustments:
Summary: Judy, getting used to home life again, becomes good friends with another newcomer, Dr. David Barlow. David is fresh out of med school and preparing to take over for his father once he retires.
Author's note: This one was really an episode to introduce Judy even more to the audience. I remember there being a great scene when Judy goes to help the mission with Grace and sees the piano. She starts playing rag and everyone loves it. Then May and Toppy walk in and Judy doesn't notice. When she is done they are right behind her. Toppy claps, May doesn't. May states that she thinks that that that music is only suitable for ruffians, is which case Judy turns around and starts playing the Moonlight Sonata. Toppy cracks a smile and May says "That's better." Judy and Toppy become fast friends after that.

Season 1, Episode 12: Can't Let Go:
Summary: Early summer has come to New Bedford and it is an increasingly hard time for Jim because it is the time of year that Kathleen died. Also, Toppy, who is feeling as though she has an empty nest, looks for a roommate and finds her in Judy.
Author's note: I wanted to show that Jim still loved Kathleen. This leads to some sweet scenes of Grace helping him through this time. Also, I thought it would be fun if Judy and Toppy became a duo much like Grace and Toppy were.

Season 1 Finale: Reputations:
Summary: Judy's secret about working in a saloon gets out when an old lover, Paul, comes to town in search of work.
Author's note: I wanted to have kind of a reaction episode, where we see how various people react to the leak of information. Also created a tiny bit of tension for David Barlow who has fallen for Judy a bit, with the revelation of her past and the coming of her old lover.

Season 2 coming soon!
Last edited by Grace Bailey on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Alex Kingston

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Great work. Judy is a terrific character, although I do wonder what she is doing for a living while she is in New Bedford. Love May's reaction to ragtime. It's spot on. Respectable women of her generation looked down on ragtime for its association with saloons and even more disreputable establishments. I also love Judy's response to May's disdain. As you can see from my latest post on the What If Honey Had Died in Season one thread, I like the idea of Grace as a writer. I'm looking forward eagerly to the next installment.

Return to “Fan Fiction - Wind at My Back”