KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

American TV Movies

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:50 pm

I actually think that on the whole, these tend to be better than the cinema blockbusters. Which are the best ones you can think of/recommend? I remember enjoying, among others:

God Bless the Child (starred Mrs. Hammond/Jayne Eastwood.)
Death of a Cheerleader
Baby M
Switched at Birth
Someone Else's Child
Little Girl Lost (the one about Tella; there is at least 1 other film with the same title.)
Prayers for Bobby
The Truth About Jane
Hit & Run
Violation of Trust
A Killer Among Friends
Danielle Steel's Fine Things
Too Close to Home
Too Young to be a Father
Painful Secrets
Child of Rage
Rivals
At the End of the Day
Shattering the Silence
Last edited by KindredSpiritRachel on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Re: American TV Movies

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 pm

I haven't heard of any of those, but I never watched made for TV movies on the major networks growing up. The Anne of Green Gables mini-series were technically made for TV movies that aired on American TV. They were technically co-productions btwn CBC and America's PBS, although they were basically Canadian productions. Also the PBS Wonderworks' version of A Little Princess (that was a British-PBS co-production) was very good. Hallmark used to have a series called the Hallmark Hall of Fame and their production of The Secret Garden was good. Then the Disney Channel partnered with CBC for Sullivan's Lantern Hill and Looking for Miracles. Disney Channel produced a number of good made for TV movies that were never released in theatres here. Several of them were based on real historical events including the Little Kidnappers, Perfect Harmony (about segregation in the South), Good Bye Miss 4th of July, The Ernest Green Story (about The Little Rock Nine). Some others were Miracle Down Under (Australian), Cheetah (about saving a cheetah from poachers in Kenya), A Far Off Place with Reese Witherspoon, Shipwrecked (a Swedish-Disney co-production with Gabriel Byrne) and The Quarterback Princess with Helen Hunt. Faerie Tale Theatre was a series of made for TV movies on the Disney Channel that was good. They were very tongue-in-cheek. I also enjoyed the Golan-Globus fairy tale productions. I remember Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. They aired on the Disney Channel, too. They used to show a lot of good family programming that were international collaborations.
ImageImageImage

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:13 am

I remember a couple of superb mystery movies scripted by the great team of Levinson and Link, the creators of Columbo. They were Rehearsal For Murder and Too Many Suspects. The latter was an adaptation of the Ellery Queen mystery The Fourth Side of the Triangle and led to the terrific Ellery Queen tv series with Jim Hutton excellent as the classic detective. I always loved the challenge to the viewer to guess the identity of the murderer that came right before the last commercial break. I never did guess right. Of course the challenge was even more difficult back then than it would be today, because the vcr hadn't yet been invented never mind the dvd player or blue ray. Rewinding the episode to review clues or pausing it to take time to consider wasn't possible. You had to solve it before the commercials ended or it was too late.

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:27 am

^ Oh that sounds cool!! How long ago was that? I don't remember that. I loved Murder She Wrote when I was a kid.
ImageImageImage

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:01 am

Too Many Suspects was broadcast in in 1973 or 1974. The series lasted from 1974-1975. The challenge to the viewer was adapted from the earliest Ellery Queen novels which featured a challenge to the reader. Interestingly, Jim Hutton's son, Timothy Hutton has been doing a great deal in the past decade to revive the civilized mystery on American tv. He was Archie Goodwin in the Nero Wolfe tv series and Nate Ford in the recently cancelled and much lamented caper series Leverage.

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:04 am

Ah, a few years before I was born. I haven't heard of the more recent ones either. :(
ImageImageImage

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:00 pm

What was the name of that TV movie about a middle-aged woman letting one of her rooms to a young lady who turned out to be a nutter? The film had a high cuteness factor: the girl had a pet white rat named Romeo, and the woman had a ginger cat. It was harrowing though, because the girl eventually drowned the poor cat in the swimming-pool; and I think the cat may have eaten the rat, but I'm not sure.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:26 pm

And how could I forget to list The War for Baby Jessica? That one was superb, albeit with a sad ending. :cry:

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:18 pm

Oh, another good one made recently was Betty and Coretta about the wives of Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X. It was on Lifetime, but was actually good.
ImageImageImage

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:27 am

Eternal Revenge = awesome: about Vicky, a young woman who tracks down 4 men in succession, and pushes them to their death from high buildings. (It's clever when she says to one of them "I've been fantasising about what I'm going to do to you when I get you alone," which = true, but she speaks in a seductive tone, making him think she's paying him a compliment!) The reason for her actions is, 10 years earlier those 4 youths had been taunting the teenage Vicky on a bridge late at night, and had caused her to lose her balance and fall, resulting in her being seriously injured.

There was another thrilling film about a couple who think the guy in the opposite flat = spying on them. The culprit = actually a guard/policeman, who locks the woman and her pet cockatoo in an underground basement room. I wish I could remember the title of the movie! I seemed to recall the heroine was played by Shannen Doherty, but I could be mistaken...

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Was it this one? It had Anthony Michael Hall from Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles in it. ;)
http://www.locatetv.com/movie/eternal-revenge
ImageImageImage

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:46 am

Sweet Temptation = quite good. I first saw it in the late '90s; and it was on True Movies on Friday night. It has a gorgeous "Lassie"-type collie.

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Never heard of them.

Would love to see Mr. Miracle when it comes on DVD. It's from a book im reading now
“I can't cheer up — I don't want to cheer up. It's nicer to be miserable!” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Vanja
Bosom Friend

Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:14 pm

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:41 pm

I may have seen Struggle to Survive; or if not, then one very similar. Were the couple accompanied by a lovely lupine dog (a Husky or Malamute)?

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:42 pm

There was a great one about a girl called Clare who had rather an important father; she got kidnapped, and it was suspected she had staged her own kidnapping. What was the movie called...?

Ever seen Swimfan? That was actually a cinema film, but a sadly under-rated one. It was brilliant, like a teenage version of Fatal Attraction.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:23 pm

I saw a marvellous one, Child's Cry, over the Xmas holiday; about a social worker suspecting a little boy has been molested, and the boy's father = initially the main suspect.

These gems deserve to be more famous.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:04 am

I've just started to watch one of my heroines, Diana Ross, playing a woman with paranoid schizophrenia in Out of Darkness. Come to think of it, has a TV movie been made of Diana's own life-story?

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:02 am

In Fatal Friends/The Wrong Girl (some TV movies end up with alternate titles), there's a heart-stopping moment even worse than the Pringles' snake in Miss Shirley's desk: the bad girl places a big tarantula on the good girl's piano. :shock:

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:27 pm

The best TV movies I've seen so far, this year, are Unwanted Guest, and Terror in the Shadows; in both cases, the villain = an unhinged young woman. I'm so relieved the gorgeous fluffy black-and-white cat, Patches (who rather resembles the cat on the cover of my Emily of New Moon copy) didn't get harmed; my heart was in my mouth the whole time! Sadly, poor Mr. Chips the hamster, in Unwanted Guest, wasn't so fortunate. :cry:

Return to “Movie / TV / Music”