ila816
Window Friend

2015 AOGG film

Wed May 17, 2017 7:00 pm

I recently ordered it from my library. I'm anxious to see Martin Sheen in the "Matthew" role. I recall posters reaction to the movie was 50/50 on this forum, therefore when I get a chance to view it, I will give my review.

HistoryMiner
Kindred Spirit

Re: 2015 AOGG film

Wed May 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Looking forward to your review.

They made 3 movies with Martin Sheen, to cover the "Anne of Green Gables" book.

The second one aired earlier this year in Canada, called "The Good Stars", but it hasn't aired in the US yet so isn't on DVD.

The third one "Fire and Dew" comes out next year.

Maxfan1
Bosom Friend

Fri May 19, 2017 7:21 pm

I finally got to see the film last Thanksgiving and enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the first two Sullivan Anne productions, but it was a respectable adaptation with good acting and a lively Anne.

HistoryMiner
Kindred Spirit

Sat May 20, 2017 12:05 am

Update: In Canada, "Fire and Dew" will air on July 1, 2017.

ila816
Window Friend

Sun May 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Wow I did not know Martin did 3 AOGG films. I really enjoyed the remake. The location shots were beautiful. This Anne was not as hostile to Gilbert as in the "85 film or in the books. Nor do I recall a foster family from Quebec in the books or in the film with Megan. However, I do recall Anne was going to live with another family, I remember the woman was cold and stern, plus she had a lot of little ones. But Marilla changed her mind . Did Matthew rescue Anne from drowning in the book? I look forward to seeing the sequels as well. When will Netflix release their version? Is it already on the market? It would be nice if someone did films based on LMM's other novels as well. I think Megan would do a wonderful job in a biopic based on the author. She really excels in period movies. I believe Martin's youngest son Ramon was part of the production team, regarding the first film.

HistoryMiner
Kindred Spirit

Mon May 22, 2017 12:07 am

ila816 wrote:However, I do recall Anne was going to live with another family, I remember the woman was cold and stern, plus she had a lot of little ones. But Marilla changed her mind .

Yes, that was Mrs. Blewitt. She was in the book and also in the Megan Follows version. In this adaptation, they have 3 movies, so they decided to wait for the END of the first movie before Marilla decided to keep Anne.

Did Matthew rescue Anne from drowning in the book?

No, that was created for this movie only.

When will Netflix release their version? Is it already on the market?

Yes, they released it about 10 days ago. May 12th, I think? Netflix is a television series, with 8 hours covering the first third of the book and lots of newly created events.

Return to “About the Anne of Green Gables Movies”