Have you seen the film or read the book?

Poll runs till Thu Aug 25, 2044 7:49 am

Yes, I have seen one/more of the adaption(s) and like it/them all
20%
Yes, I have seen one/more of the adaption(s) and only like one of them
10%
Yes, I have seen one/more of the adaptions and didn't like neither of them
3%
No, I haven't seen a tv-/movie-adaption or read the book
17%
I haven't seen the films but read the book and like it
13%
I haven't seen the films but read the book and didn't like it
No votes
I have seen one/more adaption(s) and read the book and like both
37%

Total votes: 30
Anne of Gray Gables
Bosom Friend

Have you seen or read "A Little Princess"?

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:54 pm

Do you like it? Which version?

Shirley Temple?

Liesel Matthews?

Or another one?

I have seen both the Shirley Temple and Liesel Matthews versions and like them very much!

I haven't read the book yet.. Only the first couple of chapters..
Image Image

Serenity
Window Friend

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:21 am

After I watched the Anime/comic series on TV during my job as a babysitter, I read the book and loved it.

When I saw the version with Liesel Mathews I liked it too, but not as much as the first version cause the Anime version stuck - in my opinion - 100% to the book.

Perhaps I'll get the chance one day to watch the version with Shirley Temple.
Life without imagination is a sad life

AvFan4vr
Kindred Spirit

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:47 pm

I've read the book and seen two versions. I really liked the book and I liked the one version. I'm not certain which one it is... It's not the Shirley Temple one... ~goes to look~ It has Amelia Shankley.
I've also seen the newer version and didn't like it at all.
Image ImageImage

maisonvivante
Adopted

Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:22 pm

"Valancy" wrote:I read the "A Little Princess" again and again when I was a girl. It was my favorite book, and one of the first books I owned (meaning I kept it in my own room, and it wasn't on the shared bookshelf to undergo destruction by my brothers :p hee. ). I'm a bigger fan of the book, though I have seen, and enjoyed, "A Little Princess" starring Liesel Matthews.

I can just see a pint-sized Valancy: a little budding scientist in a white lab coat and holding a magnifying glass, sneaking into her room to carefully turn the pages of her beloved book.

As for me, I've read the book and it's a great story. I haven't seen the PBS miniseries version, but the recent theatrical one was okay (despite changing the setting to New York and making the story a little too "cute" at times). The Shirley Temple version makes me want to barf.

HistoryMiner
Kindred Spirit

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:50 pm

I liked the book, but didn't like the Liesel Matthews version that much. I haven't seen the other ones... there seemed to be too many changes (it's been a long time, though, so I can't remember what they are).

julodle
Bosom Friend

Have you seen or read

Tue May 01, 2007 11:42 am

Last edited by julodle on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Georgiana
Window Friend

Wed May 02, 2007 6:12 am

I love the Liesel Matthews one. It slightly annoys me that is is set in a different country to the book, but I still think it is really good. I cry every time I watch it :oops: .

IrenyDornroeschen
Orphan

Mon May 07, 2007 11:53 am

I have only read the book and I remember I liked Sara's character. She was so stoical and yet so human, I sympathized with her a great deal
We all write poems; it is simply that poets are the ones who write in words

Anne of Gray Gables
Bosom Friend

Mon May 07, 2007 1:02 pm

I just thought I would mention:

I have made a vid with pictures from the Liesel Matthews version you can see here

and I also have some Anne-vids and are planning on making more, I would also like you to check them out, and maybe let me know what you think?

You will find all of my vids here on my "channel"
Image Image

MarigoldLesley
Bosom Friend

Sun May 13, 2007 3:29 pm

I've read the book, and I liked it alot.

Gwendolene
Window Friend

Sat May 19, 2007 8:00 am

I adored the book as a girl. The Wonderworks version is very good and closest to the book of anything I've seen. Its also really long... I think it was originally a miniseries.

ETA: IMDb lnk
Last edited by Gwendolene on Sat May 19, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anne of Gray Gables
Bosom Friend

Sat May 19, 2007 4:49 pm

I haven't seen that one. Maybe I ought to go seek it a little..
Image Image

Gwendolene
Window Friend

Sat May 19, 2007 9:58 pm

I found it on VHS at my local library.

RillaBlythe
Bosom Friend

Sat May 19, 2007 11:30 pm

I've seen 3 versions and liked all three. I like the Shirley Temple version the best, even if it doesn't follow the books. The Wonderworks version is nice, since it's the closest to the books... I like parts of the Liesel Matthews one a lot also. :)

I don't think I ever read A Little Princess... I loved The Secret Garden so I'm not sure why I didn't read it. I have read Sara Crewe and liked it and still would like to read A Little Princess someday. :)

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Wed May 23, 2007 1:08 pm

The Liesel Matthews film is one of my favourite movies; I used to label it my very fave, but then I got a little tired of watching it. At risk of sounding blasphemous, I prefer the ending of the film, to the book, as Sara wasn't orphaned after all. But of course, the book has more detail; so at the end of the day, they're about equal.

Cassiopea
Window Friend

Wed May 23, 2007 1:33 pm

I loved the book and the movie ... for the movie I have only saw the one with Liesel Matthews. It is a wonderful movie ... remind me also of the Secret Garden which was my favorite movie when I was a young teen ... i love the scenery so much of this movie, I wanted to live there :) Thking about it make me want to watch it again! :)

Cassie
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

lily_of_the_valley
Window Friend

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:37 pm

I saw the film (the 1994 one) and read the book when i was about 9. It was and is one of my favourite childhood novels. I used to (confession time here) imagine that I was Sara, and would tell all my friends that all girls were princesses - got me a lot of ridicule i can tell you.

Because i saw the film first i was a bit upset that in the book she is still an orphan at the end, but they are both excellent. I've seen bits of this older version of A little Princess - it's got this whiny annoying redhead as Sara, who needs her head ducking in a bucket of water if you ask me.
Må din vàg
Gå dig till mõtes
Och må vinden vara din vàn
Och må solen vàrma din Kind
Och mÃ¥ regent vattna sjàlens ĵord
Och tills vi mõts igen
Må Gud hålla
HÃ¥lla dig
I sin hand

Red_Headed_Erin_Girl
Adopted

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:45 am

Yes, I also lliked the Liesel Matthews movie and also the book, although I liked the Secret Gareden better. They were both sort of similair movies.
Anne Shirley: I feel as though someone's handed me the moon... and I don't exactly know what to do with it.

"I hope no great sorrow ever will come to you, Anne," said Gilbert

Gilsgirl
Kindred Spirit

Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:47 am

I read the book before I saw the Liesel Matthews fim and loved it. I have the Shirley Temple version on DVD, which I love to watch, I also have the Liesel Matthew version on video.
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a574/mollylucy05/gilsgirl_keeperships_zps9efa706e.jpg

Gibson
Window Friend

Re: Have you seen or read "A Little Princess"?

Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:33 pm

I've watched it, but would never care to read it. It is only all right. Yeah for SE!!!
"There is a deeper magic that rules over Narnia . . ."

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:26 pm

I loved the book as a little girl. I always have a hard time choosing btwn the Secret Garden and A Little Princess as my fav Burnett book. I never saw the 1995 movie, but I have seen the Shirley Temple one. I had a lot of problems with the changes they made even though a like ST a lot. When I think of the ultimate film version of it, like Sullivan's Anne 1, it's this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090474/. I highly recommend it to fans of the book. It was exactly as I imagined the book.
ImageImageImage

Kindred
Bosom Friend

Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:36 am

Love reading it and watching it!  Definitely have to back hannikan with the 1986 version with Amelia in it.  Far more with the book than any other.
ImageImage

muppets123
Kindred Spirit

Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:59 am

Read it many times and seen  the version with Shirley temple and the 1995 one. Dont think I ever saw the wonderwoorks one... but would be interested in seeing it.

Love the movie a A Secret Garden  and have watched it many times
Image A wild rose must be free to grow where it chooses

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:25 pm

When I was 14, going on 15, we all had to write a short story for English, and my teacher criticised mine for being too unrealistically happy. She asked me what I was reading at the time, and when I said A Little Princess, she said that was "very young" for me. She explained that ALP was "really good stuff, and I'm glad you're reading it, but it is a book for 11-year-olds; so as soon as you've finished it, go on to something more appropriate for your age-group."

I'm still a little annoyed about that, because did Frances Hodgson Burnett write in a preface, or anywhere else, that she had written A Little Princess exclusively for 11-year-olds? I don't think so! (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Besides, I didn't come across a copy of the book when I was 11.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:41 pm

There's now a sequel to A Little Princess; it's by Hilary McKay, and I think it's called Searching for Tomorrow or Looking for Tomorrow, and is mostly about Ermengarde. That's the next book I'm going to order from the library.

Anne of Gray Gables
Bosom Friend

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:38 pm

KindredSpiritRachel wrote:There's now a sequel to A Little Princess; it's by Hilary McKay, and I think it's called Searching for Tomorrow or Looking for Tomorrow, and is mostly about Ermengarde. That's the next book I'm going to order from the library.

Thanks for the info!
Image Image

muppets123
Kindred Spirit

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:46 pm

KindredSpiritRachel wrote:There's now a sequel to A Little Princess; it's by Hilary McKay, and I think it's called Searching for Tomorrow or Looking for Tomorrow, and is mostly about Ermengarde. That's the next book I'm going to order from the library.

Oh Wow that's really cool. I will have to  look for it when I am at the library this weekend.
Image A wild rose must be free to grow where it chooses

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm

The correct title is Wishing for Tomorrow; I've now read it and returned it. It can't hold a candle to its classic prequel, but interesting nevertheless.

wildhorses
Window Friend

Re: Have you seen or read

Sun May 02, 2010 3:05 pm

I've read the book and seen both versions of the movie. I think I like the one with Shirley Temple a little better

hannikan
Kindred Spirit

Sun May 02, 2010 3:07 pm

wildhorses wrote:I've read the book and seen both versions of the movie. I think I like the one with Shirley Temple a little better
Both meaning the Shirley Temple and the 1995? How about the PBS Wonderworks one from 1986? That one is really worth seeing. I think it's the most faithful to the book.
ImageImageImage

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 pm

I thought I had finished with collecting musical dolls, but I've just seen a photo of one of Green Tree's latest offerings, a Little Princess doll. Her animal companion is the adorable monkey, with a red hat. Like most of the dolls in the series, this one has golden ringlets, so she rather resembles the Sara in the film, albeit not the book version of Sara.

I feel I ought to buy the doll one day, as it's a story I like a lot; but I won't get it yet, wait till Xmas/birthday...

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Only seen the black & white movie.
“I can't cheer up — I don't want to cheer up. It's nicer to be miserable!” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:19 am

I recommend Jacqueline Wilson's new book Opal Plumstead to anyone who likes Anne or A Little Princess.

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:15 am

I seem to have lots my VHS copy of the movie.
“I can't cheer up — I don't want to cheer up. It's nicer to be miserable!” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:29 am

Can you recall your introduction to the story? I was browsing the bookshelves in WHSmith's, in December of '88 (during the Christmas visit to town, to look for pressies we wanted), I spotted ALP, and correctly identified it as a book with Anne-appeal. (The copy had a drawing of Sara in her attic, with the rat & the doll.)

Return to “Polls !”