KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

How does Anne Help & Hinder with Real Life?

Wed May 04, 2016 5:35 am

Anne provides a good deal of comfort through empathy:

She knows how it feels to be going about her life, minding her own business, not hurting anyone, then to suddenly get insulted/persecuted about one's hair (in her case, the colour); and to be expected just to shrug it all off, forgive & forget, and to keep one's temper (or, as someone once told me, not to take things so seriously)!

Poor Anne has Marilla & other folk telling her to hold her tongue, not to chatter so much. I can sympathise, because I've had friends, foes, and even flippin' family tell me that I spoke too loudly; honestly, I can't begin to feel happy/relaxed/fully accepted anywhere! It's so aggravating, when one hasn't been saying anything wrong! :evil:

How AoGG hinders:

The extreme wholesomeness & purity of her world makes the grosser aspects/humiliations of life seem even more disgusting in comparison. :sick: (See the Don't F*rt in Bed topic, in the Jokes section of the forum.) So, it helps to have some crude idols like The Young Ones, too. :lol:

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Re: How does Anne Help & Hinder with Real Life?

Thu May 05, 2016 6:14 pm

My love for AoGG promoted/accelerated my addiction to historical romantic sagas about young ladies who lived in any of the "olden days".

A slight drawback of that, upon reflection, is that my virtually exclusive devotion to books with "Anne-appeal" meant that for years, my literary tastes were rather limited; I may have missed out on some brilliant contemporary thrillers! :sad:

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:35 pm

Do you find that different programmes/stories help with different real-life traumas? Someone once said on Facebook that she couldn't have endured her teenage years without Judy Blume books.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:56 am

It's a sad fact that some folk know your past hasn't always been a bed of roses, yet they don't go out of their way to ensure your future is as perfect as possible! :evil:

This is reflected when Anne first comes to Green Gables: Marilla, upon enquiring about Anne's history, discerns that poor little Anne had a hard time with both Mrs. Thomas & Mrs. Hammond, yet she doesn't immediately transform into a fairy godmother; she keeps Anne in suspense, giving her a "trial period", and she's unduly strict with her, especially over the "Rachel Lynde" & "amethyst brooch" incidents. It didn't occur to her to think that Anne had been "punished" enough throughout the first decade of her life. :roll:

And it's not as if Anne had been like Katherine, the adopted girl in the brilliant TV movie Child of Rage, who deliberately injures her new family's dog. (She'd been neglected & abused as a baby, but that wasn't the innocent dog's fault.)

Return to “About the Characters & Actors in Anne of Green Gables”