B4 Green Gables, or Anne IV? I say: B4 Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables (book), or Anne I? Equal

Anne of Avonlea, Island, & Windy Willows, or Anne II? Anne II

Anne's House of Dreams - Rilla of Ingleside, or Anne III? Books

felicity18
Bosom Friend

Re: Books versus Films

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:41 am

B4 Green Gables, or Anne IV? Before Green Gables was far better.

Anne of Green Gables (book), or Anne I? Both were great.

Anne of Avonlea, Island, & Windy Willows, or Anne II? Both were great.

Anne's House of Dreams - Rilla of Ingleside, or Anne III? Both were great.

felicity18
"Yes, but your not one of those persons are you? Courage Gus Pike. Take your strength from those who love you. We'll survive all this. I promise you." Hetty King to Gus Pike

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Sat May 10, 2014 11:34 am

Do you prefer the Mrs. Lynde argument in the book or the film? In the film, Anne calls RL "fat, ugly, & a sour old gossip." In the book, she says "fat & clumsy and probably hadn't a spark of imagination." Now, I've always prided myself on my own imagination, and coveted Anne's which is so rich; nevertheless, I feel she has perhaps referred to imagination just once too often, in the "print" version of the showdown with RL; so I applaud the screen version for its innovation.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:53 am

It was horrible in the film when Marilla actually intended to send Anne to live with Mrs. Blewett, following the amethyst brooch "confession"! In the book, Anne's worst punishment for that would have been merely missing the picnic.

When Anne = crying over Mrs. Lynde's insults, she tells Marilla that she's willing to be locked in a dark damp dungeon, full of snakes & toads; it's a shame the film omits Marilla's sarcastic response that such dungeons = "rather scarce in Avonlea."

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:55 am

Someone here once reminded me that in the original LMM version, it was Mr. Harrison, not Gilbert, who gave Anne the advice re how to write a better story. So, did Anne become angry with Mr. H?

I much prefer Sullivan's modification, because it's then especially moving when Anne brings her dedicated book "without any mumbo-jumbo" to Gil's sick-bed. ;-)

HistoryMiner
Kindred Spirit

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Here's the part from "Anne of the Island":

Diana prudently refrained from any further criticism, but Mr. Harrison was much harder to please. First he told her there was entirely too much description in the story.

"Cut out all those flowery passages," he said unfeelingly.

Anne had an uncomfortable conviction that Mr. Harrison was right, and she forced herself to expunge most of her beloved descriptions, though it took three re-writings before the story could be pruned down to please the fastidious Mr. Harrison.

"I've left out ALL the descriptions but the sunset," she said at last. "I simply COULDN'T let it go. It was the best of them all."

"It hasn't anything to do with the story," said Mr. Harrison, "and you shouldn't have laid the scene among rich city people. What do you know of them? Why didn't you lay it right here in Avonlea—changing the name, of course, or else Mrs. Rachel Lynde would probably think she was the heroine."

"Oh, that would never have done," protested Anne. "Avonlea is the dearest place in the world, but it isn't quite romantic enough for the scene of a story."

"I daresay there's been many a romance in Avonlea—and many a tragedy, too," said Mr. Harrison drily.

"But your folks ain't like real folks anywhere. They talk too much and use too high-flown language. There's one place where that DALRYMPLE chap talks even on for two pages, and never lets the girl get a word in edgewise. If he'd done that in real life she'd have pitched him."

"I don't believe it," said Anne flatly. In her secret soul she thought that the beautiful, poetical things said to AVERIL would win any girl's heart completely. Besides, it was gruesome to hear of AVERIL, the stately, queen-like AVERIL, "pitching" any one. AVERIL "declined her suitors."

"Anyhow," resumed the merciless Mr. Harrison, "I don't see why MAURICE LENNOX didn't get her. He was twice the man the other is. He did bad things, but he did them. Perceval hadn't time for anything but mooning."

"Mooning." That was even worse than "pitching!"

"MAURICE LENNOX was the villain," said Anne indignantly. "I don't see why every one likes him better than PERCEVAL."

"Perceval is too good. He's aggravating. Next time you write about a hero put a little spice of human nature in him."

"AVERIL couldn't have married MAURICE. He was bad."

"She'd have reformed him. You can reform a man; you can't reform a jelly-fish, of course. Your story isn't bad—it's kind of interesting, I'll admit. But you're too young to write a story that would be worth while. Wait ten years."

Anne made up her mind that the next time she wrote a story she wouldn't ask anybody to criticize it. It was too discouraging. She would not read the story to Gilbert, although she told him about it.

"If it is a success you'll see it when it is published, Gilbert, but if it is a failure nobody shall ever see it."

-------

So Anne did become annoyed but not too angry. She also did take some of Mr. Harrison's advice and cut out some flowery language. I agree it was a smart idea to change this to Gilbert, since it made the final scenes more poignant, and it made sense to combine the idea that Gilbert was not romantic enough with the idea that writing stories about Avonlea was not romantic enough.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:33 pm

Cheers.

LMM = a genius, and I wish I could write like her; but Sullivan = also a genius for improving on some of the LMM material. All the generations of Anne-fans who died b4 the films were made, missed out on the lines "I am not your horse, Mr. Blythe" and "Well you certainly wouldn't be one of them!" When Anne loses her temper with Gil, we laugh whilst simultaneously aching for him!

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:26 am

B4 Green Gables, or Anne IV? I say: The book!

Anne of Green Gables (book), or Anne I? I like them both Equal

Anne of Avonlea, Island, & Windy Willows, or Anne II? Like them both,

Anne's House of Dreams - Rilla of Ingleside, or Anne III? both
“I can't cheer up — I don't want to cheer up. It's nicer to be miserable!” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

HistoryMiner
Kindred Spirit

Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:24 am

B4 Green Gables, or Anne IV?
They were both pretty bad, but I would choose the book only because it wasn't offensive, just boring and uninspired. The movie was an insult to fans and LM Montgomery alike.

Anne of Green Gables (book), or Anne I?
I like them equally too. The movie really captured the magic of the book.

Anne of Avonlea, Island, & Windy Willows, or Anne II?
This one is tougher. Anne II had some major problems (eg. Morgan Harris), but some of the scenes from the books were wonderfully recreated (eg. Rollings Reliable Baking Company, Katherine Brooke, and of course all of Marilla and Anne's scenes). The books' good scenes were sometimes really spread out ( I didn't enjoy too many of the Davey chapters), and the movie did a good job of distilling the main themes and focused on Anne. I'll go with a tie with a slight edge to the books.

Anne's House of Dreams - Rilla of Ingleside, or Anne III?
These books were much weaker. I didn't like Rilla of Ingleside. I also really disliked Anne III though. The only good scenes were the ones between Anne, Gilbert and Diana, most in the first half hour of the movie. I'll go with the books, if only because "Anne's House of Dreams" was quite good.

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:26 pm

The women who wrote Before.green gables. She wasn't nearly a good writer like Lucy MM was. I often wounder how she feel about the book?

That book really took away from me. What i thought up in my own mind what Anne's life was like before Green Gables. Kind of ruined it for me,
“I can't cheer up — I don't want to cheer up. It's nicer to be miserable!” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:58 pm

In Budge Wilson's book, Mrs. Hammond wasn't nearly as terrifying as she was in Sullivan's film; in fact, she evoked my sympathy because she was listless & exhausted from bearing so many children. What else was different from your own image of Anne's life pre-Green Gables?

If the poor, dear Shirleys hadn't died young, and Anne had grown up with them, I wonder who would have been her bosom friend, and who'd have become her love-interest/husband? Well, we'll never know...

HistoryMiner
Kindred Spirit

Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:30 am

Anne would probably have been a very different person. She would have grown up with love and with happiness. She might not have been as desperate for a bosom friend, or have needed to escape with her imagination as often.

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:23 am

HistoryMiner wrote:Anne would probably have been a very different person. She would have grown up with love and with happiness. She might not have been as desperate for a bosom friend, or have needed to escape with her imagination as often.

Agree!

Jossgod
Orphan

Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Original all the way. I have only once preferred the film version to the book version. And it definitely wasn't involving Anne.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:55 am

Although I prefer the film Anne II to the books on which it's based, I do think it's a shame the omission of Patty's Place & Windy Poplars/Willows meant that both cats (Rusty, and Dusty Miller) thus also got excluded from the screen version.

ila816
Window Friend

Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:02 pm

In regards to Anne of Avonlea , in the book when Anne asked Jerry the farmhand who was employed by the Blythe's about Gilbert's condition when he was gravely ill, the text stated Jerry had a brown complexion implying that maybe he was of Caribbean descent, possibly from Jamaica. Which would not be surprising, it is possible PEI had a small Black population during LMM's era. But in the movie, Jerry sounded Irish.

HistoryMiner
Kindred Spirit

Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:14 am

In the later books, one of Anne's children is also described as having a brown complexion (Shirley), so it might not have indicated an ethnicity.

Return to “About the Characters & Actors in Anne of Green Gables”