KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Re: Rest in peace Jonathan Crombie - Tributes and Memories

Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:31 am

Bonnie Kaye (a counsellor of women who have had gay husbands) doesn't believe in bisexuality, except as "an excuse. For gay men it is an illusion, creating a picture that allows them to fit into the straight world. For their straight wives it is a delusion, creating a justification for keeping the marriage together."

Yet I seem to remember hearing a theory that everyone is *really* bisexual. So, which is correct? :???:

ila816
Window Friend

Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:34 am

KindredSpiritRachel wrote:Bonnie Kaye (a counsellor of women who have had gay husbands) doesn't believe in bisexuality, except as "an excuse. For gay men it is an illusion, creating a picture that allows them to fit into the straight world. For their straight wives it is a delusion, creating a justification for keeping the marriage together."

Yet I seem to remember hearing a theory that everyone is *really* bisexual. So, which is correct? :???:

I think women are pretty but I am not sexually attracted to them. I think each person is different. BTW, I missed the Emmy's, did they include Jon in the memorium segment?

felicity18
Bosom Friend

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:05 am

ila816 wrote:I think women are pretty but I am not sexually attracted to them. I think each person is different. BTW, I missed the Emmy's, did they include Jon in the memorium segment?

I saw the Emmys but I went to bed before the memorium because I was tired. But I did see it on Youtube and there was no segment for Jonathan in the memorium. If he had been included I would of been very shocked.

felicity18
"Yes, but your not one of those persons are you? Courage Gus Pike. Take your strength from those who love you. We'll survive all this. I promise you." Hetty King to Gus Pike

kellbell
Orphan

Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Although Jonathan was not included in the Emmy's live memoriam, he was included on the Emmy's website, which was nice to see given the fact he was never nominated for an Emmy. I've included the link here. http://www.emmys.com/bios/jonathan-crombie or http://www.emmys.com/in-memoriam

felicity18
Bosom Friend

Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:09 am

Thanks for the links I appreciate it. Its nice to know that the emmys took the time to include Jonathan in their Memoriam.

felicity18
"Yes, but your not one of those persons are you? Courage Gus Pike. Take your strength from those who love you. We'll survive all this. I promise you." Hetty King to Gus Pike

Tankeryanker
Window Friend

Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:55 pm

I am not surprised that JC is/was gay. For me it doesn’t matter as I like people for who they are. I do not believe that our sexual orientation is a choice. There is no way you could convince me to have sex with a woman because that is not the way I was made.

I was born loving men (as much as they have damaged me and might wish otherwise, I have no choice in my sexual orientation). As far as having a crush on a gay guy, I say who cares, crush away. It is he that is gay not me.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:52 pm

Tankeryanker wrote:I am not surprised that JC is/was gay.

Why aren't you surprised? Gosh, JC was surrounded by some of the most exquisite actresses in the world, in the AoGG mini-series; yup, the cast contains a few of the fairest members of the fairer s.ex! If he'd always been restricted to an all-male environment, it would be less surprising if he turned to other guys.

Tankeryanker
Window Friend

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:46 am

KindredSpiritRachel wrote:
Tankeryanker wrote:I am not surprised that JC is/was gay.

If he'd always been restricted to an all-male environment, it would be less surprising if he turned to other guys.

Because we are born with our sexual oreintation. Its not something we choose. There is no "turning'. You ethier like guys or gals when you are born.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:04 am

OK. Why didn't the news about JC surprise you, though? :-o

Tankeryanker
Window Friend

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:32 am

KindredSpiritRachel wrote:OK. Why didn't the news about JC surprise you, though? :-o

Do you mean what specifically did JC do that made me think he was gay?

Tankeryanker
Window Friend

Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:17 am

KindredSpiritRachel wrote:Yeah.

It is not like in act II scene III that JC made a move with his body or cast a glance with his eyes that made me think he might be gay. I think it might be his mannerisms over all.

I had a friend growing up that decided to be a Hells Angels gang member. He started walking in the dark instead of the light and went to jail, dealing drugs and eventually ended up with two of three strikes for prison. I think that he was gay and all the Hells Angel stuff was a cover up as to who he really was. As far as I know, I am the only one who saw through him. It is just gaydar.

It is the same thing/feeling that lets a person know all kinds of things. I never had a crush on JC so maybe I was able to see him in a different light. Who knows?

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:21 pm

A lady who called herself AnneWanE said that about his mannerisms, on the old version of the forum, about a decade ago. I don't suppose she was you, with a different forum name?

ila816
Window Friend

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:16 pm

I never noticed any mannerisms that indicated he was possibly gay. Then again, I wasn't looking for any at that time anyway.

Tankeryanker
Window Friend

Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:17 pm

KindredSpiritRachel wrote:A lady who called herself AnneWanE said that about his mannerisms, on the old version of the forum, about a decade ago. I don't suppose she was you, with a different forum name?

No

ila816
Window Friend

Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:51 am

Wow how time flies. I can't believe this year is almost over. Anyway I just wanted to remind fans Jon would have turned 49 this month.

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:18 am

oh wow!
“I can't cheer up — I don't want to cheer up. It's nicer to be miserable!” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

kellbell
Orphan

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:16 pm

It's hard to imagine a world without Jonathan in it. He was such a wonderful and talented person in so many ways. Thinking of him and his family today on what would have been his 49th birthday.

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:50 pm

Yes it is!!
“I can't cheer up — I don't want to cheer up. It's nicer to be miserable!” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:31 pm

If I'd been born a gay male, I would probably fancy Smithers in The Simpsons; he's sweet.

The Simpsons actually made me realise that having a hetero heart-throb can be just as disastrous as having a gay one: if the writers decide to give your "crush" (ie Nelson Muntz) the homeliest, worst-haired AND most undeserving girl in the school, as a love-interest (Lisa Stinkson). :evil:

ila816
Window Friend

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:01 pm

It's hard to believe last week marked the 1st anniversary of his death.

felicity18
Bosom Friend

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:23 pm

ila816 wrote:It's hard to believe last week marked the 1st anniversary of his death.

I know I can't believe it either. Part of me still can't believe that he's really gone....

felicity18

felicity18
Bosom Friend

Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:02 pm

The following is a poem by Lucy Maud Montgomery that I personalized in memory of Jonathan Crombie. I've been wanting to post this for a while so here goes.

My Legacy by L.M. Montgomery

Our dear friend Jonathan Crombie as gone away from us
From shadow into perfect light,
But leaving a sweet legacy.
My heart shall hold it long in fee -
A grand ideal, calm and bright
A song of hope for ministry,
A faith of unstained purity,
A thought of beauty for delight -
These did our dear friend Jonathan bequeath to us;
And, more than ever these can be,
The worthy pattern of a white,
Unmarred life lived most graciously.
Dearest Jonathan, loyal thanks to thee
Who now hath fared beyond our sight,
Our friend Jonathan Crombie has gone away from us,
But leaving a sweet legacy.

felicity18

ila816
Window Friend

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:29 pm

Nice poem. He would have been 50 in a few weeks.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:14 am

According to Wikipedia, Jonathan was also a comedian; was he a good one?

felicity18
Bosom Friend

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:28 pm

I can't believe that Jonathan didn't get to be 50 years old. It just breaks my heart. It makes his death all the more devastating.

felicity18

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:57 pm

I've read a touching fanfiction in which Gilbert Blythe dies (at Ingleside) at the age of 87, only just surviving his Anne-girl.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:07 am

My dear mother once remarked that it may be merely "a bit disappointing" if any girl's pin-up turned out to be gay. I see it as the final straw in a disgusting world that's already full of indignities.

My idea of "a bit disappointing" is a shop selling out of a garment you like! :roll:

ila816
Window Friend

Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:46 pm

I bet a lot of women felt that way when it was discovered Rock Hudson was gay, as well as the late music star George Michael. Boy were my friends heart broken over that one. One of my pals was disappointed to learn newscaster Don Lemon was gay. He is cute. IMO, since I don't really develop crushes on celebrities anymore, their personal life is their business.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:36 pm

Yes, those ladies must be more stoic than myself. It's especially agonising if I've been wondering/waiting/hoping for my pin-up to be knocked off his pedestal in a way that would make me feel positively happier about my own body (i.e. learning that he sits down on a certain feature of the bathroom)....then you just end up hearing/reading something that makes you feel more unhappy with this horrible planet!

At the end of our beloved book, Anne's unrealistically lucky to say "Dear world, you are very lovely, and I am glad to be alive in you." :mrgreen:

Return to “About the Characters & Actors in Anne of Green Gables”