paperboy
Global Moderator

The Magic Flute... and me?

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:19 pm

Where have you encountered Mozart's Magic Flute in your life and want special meaning does it hold for you? Tell any stories you have related to this opera.

As for me - I wasn't really familiar with the Magic Flute until working on this film. I had heard about it, and knew about it from my music classes, but I didn't know the story and I wouldn't be able to recognize the music.

But now, the Magic Flute holds a special place in my heart. Mozart's wonderful opera was the framework for the first movie I ever worked on. The soundtrack makes me smile, since I was involved with the recording process.

On a more personal level, I can relate to the story, and the concepts of honour and virtue.

Now - its your turn.
I'll try to bring you news.

Dorthe

Re: The Magic Flute... and me?

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:48 pm

when I was young (like a million years ago!) my brother and I went to the opera to see "The Magic Flute". I didn´t understand the words but the music was..... well, yes magical. I fell in love with it and have loved it ever since. Especially the arias sung by Papageno and Queen of the Night are so beautiful.
Sometimes when I´m in a "opera -mood" I listen to "The Magic Flute" or another great opera of his "The Marriage of Figaro"
Last edited by Dorthe on Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muppets123
Kindred Spirit

Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:32 pm

Magic flute was my 2nd opera I saw @ age 10 ( 1st was hansel and gretel  at age 6).  I loved the  costumes  and the story.

In my teens and 20's I got hooked on the operetta of G& S, much for their wit and political sarcasm ;)  but every now and then i  dift back into an opera phase and i always come back to MF.    MF  will  be there like "summertime" in  Porgy and Bess.  :)
Image A wild rose must be free to grow where it chooses

Gilsgirl
Kindred Spirit

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:12 pm

I got interested in the Magic Flute when I began learning german two years ago and joined the german choir at university. We had to sing a song from it, but I don't remember what it was. I did go the the library and get out the CD and also the video with a production of it using string puppets which was absolutely amazing.
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a574/mollylucy05/gilsgirl_keeperships_zps9efa706e.jpg

HistoryMiner
Kindred Spirit

Re: Re: The Magic Flute... and me?

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:03 am

When I was a kid, I used to listen to the Classical Kids audiotape for "The Magic Flute", which adapted the story for children and translated the songs to English. It's a great CD to give to young kids to introduce them to classical music.

Krissy2012
Kindred Spirit

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:59 am

When i was a teen/kid my parents played Classical music. I hated it. Now that I'm older ( 30s). I find myself i have started liking Classical music. :neutral:
“I can't cheer up — I don't want to cheer up. It's nicer to be miserable!” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Return to “Magic Flute Diaries”