KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Other Books like Anne of Avonlea

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:43 am

Can you recommend any other novels about young teachers, their lives in & out of the classroom? I'm re-reading The Sound of her Laughter by Margaret Thornton, whose writing-style = always relaxing + addictive.

The only aspect of the book I don't like = the heroine's name (Frances); Anne would sympathise with that! The story's a tad more scandalous than AoA, because the said Frances has an affair with a married member of staff.

sandy425
Orphan

Re: Other Books like Anne of Avonlea

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:06 pm

KindredSpiritRachel wrote:Can you http://www.comparateur-mutuelle-assurance-sante.com recommend any other novels about young teachers, their lives in & out of the classroom? I'm re-reading The Sound of her Laughter by Margaret Thornton, whose writing-style = always relaxing + addictive.

The only aspect of the book I don't like = the heroine's name (Frances); Anne would sympathise with that! The story's a tad more scandalous than AoA, because the said Frances has an affair with a married member of staff.

hello, i would love to read the book but there are no librari which i can find it.
thanks!!

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:41 am

Can you get it (and its prequel, Forgive our Foolish Ways) from Amazon or Ebay?

Margaret Thornton still writes a book per year; her most recent stories aren't *quite* as good as her earlier ones, but they still have a lovely relaxing style.

In one of her wartime novels, Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree, the heroine hates her name Eunice (I can't say I blame her!), and wishes she could be called Francesca. That book even mentions LMM's Anne series, on one page.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:44 pm

Anne Bennett's A Little Learning has some focus on a young teacher, although the main protagonist is one of her pupils. They usually get on very well, but they do have one Miss Shirley-and-Jen Pringle/Anthony Pye incident: the schoolgirl observes her Miss Wentworth making out with a man, whereupon she temporarily loses respect for her, and is insolent in class, leading to her hand being caned.

Return to “Anne's Book Club”