PoohsPlace
Bosom Friend

AoGG Discussion: Chapter 27: Vanity and Vexation of Spirit

Sat May 05, 2007 9:55 am

Anne of Green Gables:

Chapter 27 -- "Vanity and Vexation of Spirit"
(Read the chapter here)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please share your thoughts, questions and ideas about this twenty-seventh chapter. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are a couple of the thoughts previously shared (from before the forum was hacked):

Posted by *Bets Wilcox* on Dec 31 2005

"Valancy @ Dec 5 2005, 05:45 PM" wrote:I wonder how young readers today will take Anne's misery, nowadays when ever changing hair colors are so commonplace. Anne's green hair caused me a start when I first read it, but now, I wonder if a child reading it would just wonder why she didn't go buy some red dye and fix it.

That must still be awful, though. kids are cruel, and your appearance matters a LOT in school. Anne must have gotten made fun of badly for her very-out-of-place, shorn head.

Posted by Heather Alice on Jan 29 2006

"*Bets Wilcox* @ Jan 1 2006, 12:04 PM" wrote:that must still be awful, though. kids are cruel, and your appearance matters a LOT in school. Anne must have gotten made fun of badly for her very-out-of-place, shorn head.

Yeah I know, I agree with you. I felt it so much for Anne in the book when she had to go to school with her hair looking like that, I know how it feels going to school with something horridly out of place and everyone at school noticing.
ImageImage
[color=maroon][size=80]I've adopted Lavendar & have been adopted by windy_poplars

Jossgod
Orphan

Re: AoGG Discussion: Chapter 27: Vanity and Vexation of Spir

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:33 am

Anne deserved any teasing she got after this. It's not like she was horribly unpopular and teased as a redhead. It was all in her mind. Her obsession with her hair and later freckles, only eight of them, always made me dislike her. She is extremely vain.

KindredSpiritRachel
Bosom Friend

Re: AoGG Discussion: Chapter 27: Vanity and Vexation of Spirit

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:08 am

At least the green hair suited Green Gables! (Has anyone ever pointed that out before?)

The teasing wasn't all in Anne's mind: I know Gilbert didn't mean to be malicious (and he "tormented" many other girls), but Mrs. Lynde (an adult!) was quick to make derogatory remarks.

In Anne I, on screen, they managed to make Anne's post-dye haircut very attractive!

Return to “The Green Gables Book Society”